Thursday, December 31, 2015

Don't be Pressured by a Date Change

Watching the 2015 retrospection of blog posts, picture collages and status updates made me question:

 What do I have to say that isn't just noise?

This is what I came up with...

The calendar will change to a new day, month and year or maybe already has as you read this. Traditionally this is a time of reflection and resolution. It's the end of one year and the beginning of another. Naturally people feel hopeful about what lies ahead and may even resolve to be different, to do differently. The world celebrates a new calendar year with parties, tributes and fireworks. It's a big deal.

The noise I am adding to the atmosphere goes against the grain because it's where I am at. I post when I have something to say, so today, this is what I have to say even though it will be wildly unpopular.


F*ck the calendar! Do not be pressured into changing your life overnight because the date changes.
Your changes will not stick! You are essentially making them under duress, with a gun to your head- 'Figure it out quick, the date is about to change!'
Tradition dictates that the new year is the time to quickly get it all sorted out and begin again. Look at what went wrong or right and be prepared to act accordingly by midnight on December 31. You don't have to do this in a panic. If you haven't got it figured out yet, so what. The clock will strike 12 as it does every other night of your life and nothing will be any different as the sun rises and sets on January 1st.

This is not to make light of those who embrace change with the new year, it is to say that really, it's just a date change.  Those of you who are struggling to find your why; to find the inspiration to start  anew, I want you to know that it's ok to not find it on New Year's day. Maybe you will be renewed and resolute on Groundhog day or Canada day or maybe for you it will be April 23. It does not have to be January 1st just because the symbolism of the new year leads you to feel that way.

Random cat picture to make you smile
The symbolism of a new year is undeniable, rip the last page of the calendar off and put up the new one, fresh and uncluttered without dates and appointments, you can't help but feel unburdened. That is about as clean as it gets, as the year and its demands begin to roll. Ever wonder why most new year's resolutions fail to become permanent parts of a person's life? My theory is because people get caught up in the noise and expectations of January 1st. It's all good when the fanfare that accompanies the 5-4-3-2-1 is loudest and the holiday weight gain is at its highest but once the pomp and circumstance wares off (around January 30), most people feel like failures, for the 30th or so year in a row.

I am not ready yet. I don't know what my 2016 plans or goals are, so I am not going to be pressured into figuring it out because of a date change. I am adding this noise to the atmosphere because I know if I am thinking it, there are others who are feeling the same way. If no one else will declare it, I will. It's all good in the hood. There is no reason to go to bed tonight and feel like you need to be a superstar in the morning...which will be good news to those of you who will spend the first day of the gloriously revered new year, hungover. I repeat you do not have to find a phone booth at midnight (do they still exist) and make a superhero costume change to be ready for the new day, month and year.
Enjoy the celebrations that welcome the new year and know that the day you are ready to make any kind of changes in your life will be as good a day as any other new year's day.


What I am reading





No comments:

Post a Comment

Stronger

Stronger